16 Day Explore South Africa Tour
Explore South Africa on the tour of a lifetime! This 16 Day Tour includes full-service flights, 13 Nights’ accommodation and breakfasts throughout the tour, plus a deluxe coach, transfers, sightseeing and entrance fees and an English-speaking tour leader, with you the whole way. As part of this holiday package, your full Garden Route Tour will have you in awe among a wealth of natural wonders like lush forests, tranquil lagoons and lakes. With overnight stays included, you’ll have the time to truly see the beautiful eastern coastline in a new light. Be amazed by your Congo Caves Visit, Ostrich Farm Tour and spectacular scenery on the Panorama Route Tour, then feel the adrenaline rush of a private game reserve safari. Enjoy 3 bonus nights in the Kruger National Park and fall in love with South Africa.
YOUR GLOBAL ESCAPES PACKAGE INCLUDES
- International return airfares to Cape Town returning Johannesburg with a full-service carrier.
We will get you to and from your holiday with no troubles – all you need to do is pack your bag and make your way to the airport! Enjoy a return airfare and taxes with a full-service carrier included in the price!
- Internal flight from George to Johannesburg.
Getting from George to Johannesburg is easy with us. We have made all of your arrangements, so you can sit back and enjoy the journey!
- 13 nights accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities.
Enjoy a total of 13 nights staying accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities across South Africa. Your accommodation is sorted as you make your way through Cape Town, Mossel Bay and Johannesburg.
- Breakfast daily, 2 lunches & 10 evening meals
South Africa is renowned for outstanding locally produced food and your tour will be travelling through many of the best food production regions. Expect to feast on delicious classics and regional specialties throughout the tour.
- Airport coach transfers in Cape Town & Johannesburg
The last thing you want to do on your holiday is stress about how you are going to get from A to B. With us, you will not have to worry. Enjoy airport group transfers in Cape Town and Johannesburg on us.
- Air-conditioned coach with reclining seats and onboard toilet.
Get around in total comfort! Enjoy air-conditioned coach transportation when touring South Africa this holiday as you see the sites without breaking a sweat!
- All sightseeing & entrance fees
Experience the rugged beauty of South Africa this holiday! See the iconic Castle of Good Hope, take a scenic drive through Stellenbosch and the Cape wine region, get up close and personal with rhino’s, lions and elephants at Knysna and Kruger National Park and take a walk suspended above the untamed wilderness of Tsitsikamma National Park and the appropriately named Storms River. There is so much to see and do and we have covered your sightseeing and entrance fees!
- English-speaking tour leader
Do not miss out on a thing this holiday! Your tour includes English-speaking tour leader(s) throughout your 16-day tour of South Africa.
- Cape Town orientation tour and 2 wine tastings
Cape Town is situated beneath the imposing Table Mountain. Slowly rotating cable cars climb to the mountain’s flat top, from which there are sweeping views of the city, the busy harbour & boats heading for Robben Island, the notorious prison that once held Nelson Mandela, which is now a living museum. Whilst in Cape also enjoy 2 included wine tastings on us.
- Visit Tsitsikamma National Park
The Tsitsikamma forest forms part of the greater Garden Route National Park and encompasses rivers, gorges, mountains, lush forests and plantations. Home to Bloukrans bridge, take the opportunity to experience the highest bridge bungee in the world! With trail and bush walk options, take the opportunity to discover more about the fauna and flora of this region.
- Guided tour of a working Ostrich Farm
Take a guided tour of a working ostrich farm in Oudtshoorn and learn more about these large nomadic birds which although are flightless, can reach speeds of up to 70 km/ph!
- Visit the amazing Cango Caves
Discover the Cango Caves; a series of dramatic dripstone caverns more than 20 million years old.
- Full day game drive in Kruger National Park.
From your vantage point in the tour bus, you can easily look out for wildlife in Kruger National Park including the instantly recognisable Big 5! Stretching over 20,000 square km (nearly the size of Belgium!) keep a lookout for cheetahs, wild dogs, leopards, elephants and the white and black rhino.
- Embrace a Safari escape staying 3 nights in Kruger National Park Lodge
After a busy day’s safari, head back to the Kruger National Park Lodge and put your feet up! Cool down in the pool before enjoying a locally inspired meal.
- Experience the Panorama Route Drive through Mpumalanga province
Visit the renowned Three Rondavels viewpoint which boasts a stunning vista over the Blyde River Canyon. This canyon forms part of the Drakensberg ridge and is known for picturesque views. Next is Bourke’s Luck Potholes, a natural water feature with hundreds of natural potholes and plunge pools and which marks the beginning of the Blyde River Canyon. From the right direction and on a clear day, you can even see Mozambique in the distance!
- Tipping: AUD$3-5 per person per day for both driver and tour leader is appropriate
- Visas (Australian passport holders do not require a visa. Note, New Zealand passport holders and other nationalities may require a tourist visa.
- Travel insurance – mandatory. Remember to ask your travel consultant for travel insurance options
From $4,599pp* ex Sydney and Melbourne
From $4,899pp* ex Brisbane and Adelaide
From $5,049pp* ex Perth
- Deposit is $2100pp*
- Deposit is non-refundable
Balance is due 120 days before departure
SINGLE SUPPLEMENT PRICE
Single supplement available for just $1105 per person.
29 January 2020
29 February 2020
Day 1: Fly from Australia to Cape Town (inflight meals)
Depart Australia today on your South African Airways, Singapore Airlines, Qantas (or other, subject to availability) full service flight to Cape Town, South Africa!
Day 2 Cape Town, South Africa (D)
Welcome to Cape Town today. On arrival at the airport be met by a tour representative and transferred to the hotel. The rest of the day is free before meeting your tour leader and other travelers for dinner together in the evening.
Day 3 Cape Town City Tour (B)
After breakfast this morning, join your driver for a city tour, including such iconic sights as the Castle of Good Hope, St George’s Cathedral and a chance to wander through the colourful streets of Cape Malay. After a stop at Company’s Gardens, finish the tour at the V&A Waterfront. This redeveloped port precinct is a compelling blend of historic and modern, with lots to explore, great shopping and dining options.
Day 4 Cape Town (B)
Take it easy today, with breakfast provided at your hotel and the full day free for your own relaxation and exploration of Cape Town and surrounds, including Robben Island and Table Mountain. Alternatively, ask your Tour Leader about joining them on an optional (not Included) Cape Point and Peninsular day tour.
Day 5 Cape Town – Cape Winelands – Stellenbosch – Hermanus (approx. 190km) (B,L)
Following breakfast, take a scenic drive through the Cape wine region. South Africa has the oldest wine industry outside of Europe. Taste South Africa’s signature wine; Pinotage and learn about Cape district wines from a local wine expert. Lunch is a delicious traditional meal served among the vineyards. Next stop is Stellenbosch, a special university town in the heart of the Cape Winelands. Explore the Cape Dutch architecture and many laid-back coffee shops, boutiques and art galleries. After one more wine tasting tour this afternoon, experience the heavenly coastal drive to Hermanus. This evening, choose to join dinner with a South African family (not included), or explore the town of Hermanus.
Day 6 Hermanus – Swellendam – Mossel Bay (390km) (B,D)
Relax this morning in Hermanus, this relaxed harbour town is one of the world’s best whale-watching destinations from June to November.
Alternatively, join one of the optional excursions for the day: Shark Cage Diving or a Whale & Eco tour.
After departing Hermanus, free time for lunch is in beautiful Swellendam. Taste authentic Boerekos (traditional farmer’s food), or perhaps some Springbok (venison) carpaccio. The coach will stop this afternoon outside of Albertinia to visit Cape Aloe Vera farm. Taste aloe tea, sample facial cream and learn more about this indigenous plant. The destination today is Mossel Bay, a coastal village and popular holiday destination. On the way, stop at the Pinnacle Caves, an archaeological site with early evidence of modern human behaviour in fossil findings dated as far back as 170,000 years ago. Dinner is included at the hotel tonight.
Day 7 Garden Route: Game Drive – Knysna – Garden Route (approx. 230km) (B,D)
Early this morning, travel to Botlierskop Private Game Reserve for a unique safari experience. Enjoy close encounters with impala, wildebeest, rhinos, lions, giraffes and more!
Lunch in Knysna, the heart of the Garden Route. Explore the beautiful harbour area and dine in a local restaurant (not included) or jump aboard a double-decker floating restaurant for an optional lunch cruise along Knysna Bay, with spectacular views of the area.
From Knysna, depart for more exciting animal adventures. Choose to roam free with monkeys at Monkeyland, a multi-species monkey sanctuary. Alternatively, visit Birds of Eden, a unique eco-tourism experience, and the world’s largest free flight aviary and bird sanctuary (not included). Dinner is included this evening.
Day 8 Tsitsikamma National Park & Storms River – Eastern Cape (approx. 150kms) (B,D)
The morning is free to explore the great outdoors; the Tsitsikamma forest forms part of the greater Garden Route National Park. The area encompasses rivers, gorges, mountains, lush forests and plantations. Options include tree-top canopy tours, bungee jumping at Bloukrans bridge (the highest bridge bungy in the world!), the Woodcutters trail driver or a bush walk to learn more about the fauna and flora in this region.
Then drive to the Storms River mouth in Tsitsikamma National Park. Take a walk along the coast, or cross the longest suspension river in South Africa and have some free time to enjoy lunch overlooking the ocean. This afternoon drive to the Eastern Cape coast. Local holiday destinations including Jeffreys Bay and Cape St. Francis, are known to be some of the best surfing locations in the world. Here you can enjoy long sandy beaches in idyllic surroundings.
Day 9 Fruit Route: Route 62 – Oudtshoorn Ostrich Farm – Cango Caves Excursion (approx. 380km) (B,L,D)
Explore a different region of South Africa this morning, leaving the Garden Route behind for meandering Route 62. Head for the arid Karoo via the spectacular Langkloof Valley. Stop off for a guided tour of a working ostrich farm in Oudtshoorn and learn more about these big feathered animals. Afterward, explore one of South Africa’s hidden treasures, the Congo Caves. The series of dripstone caverns here are more than 20-million years old. You have the option to explore the caves either on a heritage walking tour or an adventurous rock- and cave climbing experience. This evening be treated to a special Karoo dinner.
Day 10 Fly from George to Johannesburg – Kruger Gateway (approx. 450km) (B,D)
This morning, travel from Oudtshoorn to George for an early morning flight to Johannesburg. On the way, watch the sun rise over the Langkloof, with a stop on the Outeniqua pass to take in the magnificent views. After the included flight, arrive in the “City of Gold”, Johannesburg. Travel onwards to tonight’s accommodation in a gateway destination to Kruger National Park. The first experience in the African bush awaits as dinner is served under the African sky this evening.
Day 11 Kruger National Park (approx. 320km) (B,D)
Time for a full-day game drive of the park! Elevated in the tour bus you can easily look for animals in the bush, perhaps even the iconic Big 5. The Kruger National Park stretches over 20,000 square km – nearly the size of Belgium. In the park, watch out for wild animals like cheetahs, wild dogs, leopards, elephants and the white and black rhino. En route, stop at rest camps like Skukuza, Tshokwane and Satara. Around late afternoon, make your way to the safari lodge/hotel on the western edge of the park, for a multi-night stay. Time for a relaxing swim in the pool and a sun-downer or two before this evenings’ included dinner.
Day 12 Kruger National Park (B,D)
Make your own choice today, from a range of different safari options and durations. Kruger National Park is home to 114 different species of reptiles, 507 kinds of birds and 147 mammal species, so you are sure to come across some of the most amazing creatures in Africa. After your chosen game drive, return to the Lodge to cool down in the pool before enjoying an included dinner – in true African style.
Day 13 Kruger National Park (B,D)
Again today, choose from full-day, half-day, sunrise and/or sunset safaris (not included). A sunrise safari offers the incredible experience of African bush awakening for the day as the sun rises over the savanna. The sunset safari brings a different charm with hues of gold, pink and orange as the sun sets. As it gets cooler the animals move around to find food, your guide will follow to see if there’s anything interesting to see.
This evening enjoy a last dinner in the African bush. Spend time around the campfire exchanging safari stories and sipping Amarula – an African liqueur made with fruit of the marula tree (not included).
Day 14 Three Rondawels – Bourke’s Luck Potholes – Blyde River Canyon Viewpoint – Johannesburg (approx. 590km) (B,D)
Leave the Kruger National Park behind, via the Panorama Route through the Mpumalanga province. The first destination is the renowned Three Rondavels viewpoint with a stunning vista over the Blyde River Canyon. This canyon forms part of the Drakensberg ridge and is known for storybook views. Next is Bourke’s Luck potholes, a natural water feature with hundreds of natural potholes and plunge pools. This area marks the beginning of the Blyde River Canyon. Look for out of for Kruger and Mozambique, visible in the distance on a clear day. Continue the final leg of the tour into Johannesburg. Finally, sit down for a farewell dinner with new friends!
Day 15 Fly from Johannesburg to Australia (B, inflight meals)
After check out, be transferred to the airport for your flights home to Australia.
Day 16 Arrive Home
Please note that depending on timing, some flights may arrive home on Day 15 or 17.
EARLY ARRIVAL/STAY BEHIND BREAK FEE
- $150 per person plus airfare difference.
- Pre-tour Cape Town; $90 per twin-share bed and breakfast (excludes transfers).
- Post-tour Johannesburg; $105 per twin-share room only per night (includes complimentary airport transfers).
FLIGHTS UPGRADES – BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS
- South African Airways, Singapore Airlines, Qantas or similar, subject to availability: starting from $6299 per person
- Business class upgrade applies to international long-haul sectors only and is subject to limited availability. Business class may not be available on all carriers
2020 TRAVEL DATES
- 14 (SOLD OUT), 28 (SOLD OUT) February
- 8, 22 May
- 5 June
- 14 August
- 11 September
- 23 October
- 6 November
- Selected dates from: 8 May – 6 November 2020. Please see the Departures tab for full details.
3 Star rated throughout
- Cape Town: StayEasy Cape Town City Bowl
- Hermanus: Windsor Hotel
- Mossel Bay: Oceans Hotel
- Tsitsikamma/Garden Route: Tsitsikamma Village Inn, Tsitsikamma Lodge and Spa, Tsogo Sun Beacon Island Hotel
- Cape St Francis: Cape St Francis Resort
- Oudtshoorn: De Oude Meul / Protea Hotel by Marriott Riempie Estate
- Gateway to Kruger: eBundu Lodge / Buffalo Hotel / Greenway Woods
- Kruger National Park: Timbavati Safari Lodge / Sanbonani Resort Hotel
- Johannesburg: Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All prices are subject to change and availability.
- Prices are AUD per person for twin-share unless otherwise specified
- Single Supplement is available from $1,105.00
- Deposit is $2,100 per person
- Deposit is non-refundable
- Final payment is required 120 Days prior to departure
- Tipping: AUD$3-5 per person per day for both driver and tour leader is appropriate
- Visas (Australian passport holders do not require a visa. Note, New Zealand passport holders and other nationalities may require a tourist visa. Check here
- Travel insurance – mandatory. Remember to ask your travel consultant for travel insurance options
- Travel insurance is strongly recommended. Ask your travel consultant for discounted travel insurance options.
BOOKING & PASSPORTS
- A passport valid for 6 months beyond trip completion is a strict requirement of travel. It is your responsibility to ensure all information submitted on the booking form is exactly matched only to a valid passport, including full names and passport numbers. You are liable for all fees due to invalid passports or the provision of inaccurate, incomplete or outdated passport information.
- If your passport is expired or has insufficient validity, please submit your full name, gender and date of birth only, and submit “TBA” for passport number and expiry. Do not submit expired or invalid passport information. It is your responsibility to submit updated passport information accurately to Ignite Travel as soon as you receive it.
- Ignite Travel will use the information submitted on your booking form as the final source of truth to process your booking including issuing air, train and cruise tickets. You are solely liable for all reissue fees due to absent, inaccurate or outdated information.
- A tourist visa is not required for Australian passport holders travelling to South Africa. Note that New Zealanders and some other nationalities do require a tourist visa. Find out more
- Ignite Travel cannot be held liable for fees due to the absence of a valid visa.
- Each person is entitled to a strict maximum of one checked bag not exceeding 20kg, plus one carry-on bag not exceeding 7kg.
- You are strongly encouraged to pack lightly below these limits as you will be required to carry your own bag to and from coaches, hotels and trains.
- Electronic documentation including e-tickets are generally emailed within two weeks of departure of your core tour, irrespective of early departures, pre-tour extensions or stopovers.
- Surcharges apply for certain departure cities and note that flights may be via Sydney, Melbourne or Perth.
- Due to flight times and scheduling, some customers may be required to depart Australia the day before the advertised itinerary (day 0), and some customers may arrive in Australia the day before the advertised itinerary. The number of accommodation nights will not change.
- The default full service carrier included in your package will be provided when you receive your final documentation.
- Please contact your travel consultant at the time of booking to request quotes for premium economy and business class upgrades.
- All flights or airfare related fees and costs are due immediately upon confirmation.
- Payment or upgrades using frequent flyer points is not permitted.
- Pre-set airline meals can be requested at the time of booking (or no later than one month before departure) and is subject to availability.
- All flights may involve up to two transits in Australian or international connecting cities.
- No show of any flight will result in the automatic cancellation of all onward flights by the airline and rebooking will be at your own expense.
- The itinerary and order may be adjusted as we see fit to ensure the smooth and safe operation of the tour.
- In the unusual event that a destination, sight or attraction is unavailable due to weather, local, seasonal, political or other constraints, it will be substituted with a similar alternative.
- The indicated length of trip includes time in flight and is subject to change depending on the prevailing flight schedule to be provided when you receive your final documentation. The number of accommodation nights will not change.
- Some flights may depart a day before or after the indicated itinerary.
- A reference to included entrance fees refers to admissions to the main site or attraction but may not include any secondary admissions inside the venue or optional programs marked as “not included”.
- Seasonal surcharges (denoted by an asterisk *) may apply to certain departure dates.
- Tipping for guides and drivers is recommended but not mandatory. AUD$3-5 per person per day for both driver and Tour Leader is appropriate.
- Triple-share is available on the land tour in the form of extra bedding strictly subject to availability.
- Reference hotels listed may be substituted with properties of a similar standard.
- Confirmed hotels will be provided when you receive your final documentation.
- All hotel ratings are self-rated according to local standards.
- All rooms are lead-in category or run of house unless otherwise stated.
- This tour is not suitable for persons under 12 years old. Children over 12 must be accompanied by an adult and will pay full fare for all services.
- Maximum 48 passengers (per vehicle).
- Optional programs are special ‘money can’t buy’ local experiences or activities that you may add to your tour.
- Optional programs are payable directly to the tour guides in the local currency and cannot be prepaid.
- In the unusual event that some programs or venues may not be available due to weather, local, seasonal or political constraints, every effort will be made to provide a similar alternative.
- Some tours are subject to availability and require minimum numbers to operate.
- If alternative arrangements cannot be provided due to location or logistical constraints, non-participants must wait in the vicinity of the group until the conclusion of the program as per the guide’s directions.
- A ‘break fee’ for early arrival, stay behind or stopover is collected for any deviations from the set dates and group tickets.
- Transfers and hotels are not included for arrivals and departures outside of the set group arrangements.
- Group transfers are at designated times. Transfers outside group arrangements incur additional costs.
- It is advisable to exchange some South African Raad (ZAR) before leaving home or on arrival at the International Airport. The local currency can be used for optional programs, meals, shopping and expenses of a personal nature.
- All trip costs, fees and components are fully non-refundable at all times.
- Refunds are not provided for any unused trip component including flights, transfers, hotels, cruises, optional programs, attractions, etc.
- All efforts must be made to resolve issues on tour with the tour leader. Formal complaints must be submitted in writing with substantiated evidence within 10 days of trip completion.
- Vegetarian meals are generally available on tour by pre-request. Please notify your guide of any special dietary requirements.
- Certain meal types can be requested for the flights at the time of booking, subject to availability.
- A moderate level of fitness is required for full days of brisk walking with intermittent breaks. You may encounter occasional flights of stairs at stations. This tour is not suitable for people requiring assistance or walking aid.
Cape Town & Garden Route:
- Cape Town is on the same latitude as Sydney, with comparable weather. Expect wet and cool winters, with dry and warm summers. The average temperature in Cape Town is a mild 17°C.
- Johannesburg has a subtropical highland climate. Summer, from October to April, has frequent cooling afternoon showers after sunny days. May to September (winter) have typically dry, sunny days and cold nights. Due to the city’s elevation, temperatures are mild with average maximum daytime temperature in January of 25.6°C and average maximum of approx 16°C in June.
PASSENGER INFOMATION CHANGES AND AMENDMENTS
- All amendments and changes are subject to a $150 fee per person, per change. Amendments and changes requested within 60 days of departure for travel will incur a $350 fee per person, per change.
All prices are per person twin-share unless otherwise stated and subject to revision without notice. Itineraries, airlines, hotels and ships are subject to availability and change.
Savings % is calculated on the maximum discount across all Ex points.
Valued at price is based on the maximum price across all ex points.
*FROM PRICE EX SYDNEY and MELBOURNE. PURCHASE BY 29 JANUARY 2020 & BOOK BY 29 FEBRUARY 2020. Prices are correct at the time of publication, are twin share per person, may change without notice & are subject to availability. Restrictions & conditions apply. See website for full terms, conditions & travel dates. Prices quoted are on sale until 13 DECEMBER unless otherwise stated or sold out prior. Seasonal surcharges & blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel. Additional fees, including surcharges & visa fees specific to your departure date may apply. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge. Advertised price includes any bonus nights. Please ask us for further details or visit our website at www.globalescapes.com.au. Global Escapes holiday packages offered by Ignite Holidays Pty Ltd & is a subsidiary of Ignite Travel Group. ATAS Accreditation No. A10345.